Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Running of the Clown

Allegro Marinade - Spicy Cajun

That is the name, as best as we can recall, of this week's contender. As a note, I need to point out that I've been sick over the weekend, and am still dealing with a lot of sinus issues, so my sense of taste for this week's test was very dulled.

Taste: To me, this marinade made the steak taste a great deal like beef jerky. It had that same smoky/salty taste. The pepper flakes added a very pleasant zing to the meal, but that was really the high point. I found myself using much more liberal sprinklings of A1 than I have been as of late, and using the other sides as a moderating influence on the strong nature of this marinade's results. Other than the spiciness (which is something future experimentation might allow us to graft into a far-superior marinade...) I was not impressed. At least it seemed to have good flavor penetration factor.

Texture: This marinade left the steak with a nice firm natural texture. No steak-mush! Yay! Then again, it'd have the same texture unmarinaded.

Summary: The overall taste really downs this marinade. I can only imagine how it would have been if I had my full senses at my disposal. The spiciness was good though, saving this expedition into the beefy wilds from COMPLETE failure.

Rochter Scale Rating: 3.8

Final thoughts:
Clowns cry on the inside for a reason. We found it.

No comments: