Thursday, November 20, 2008

Contact Report

****
Priority Traffic; Eyes Only
Estimated date of contact: 11-19-08, approximately 20:50 Lima

First contact with the target revealed that it survived grilling in very good condition. Uniform application of heat throughout the cut left the target completely cooked with practically no external searing damage. Target did not take advantage of available culinary cover, and thus relied almost entirely upon it's own taste. The target was also in very good shape initially, very lean and battle-ready. Intel overestimated this target's prowess, however; if it had not called upon reinforcements from several food groups sympathetic to it's cause, it would have been quickly overwhelmed and forgotten next to the juggernauts of taste.

All in all... we have met the enemy, and it was delicious.
****

I cannot disagree with the statements of the Cannibal. The sirloin, while certainly a good steak in and of itself, does not appear to lend itself to our rapid-grill style of steak prep. I really feel that this kind of cut has a lot of potential if lovingly attended to, but not as a gas-grill after work dinner.

The steak was on the drier side of things, which I actually do not hold against it. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I don't like mushy steak. A consequence, however, is that the cut's capacitance for marinade flavor was insufficient. It just didn't feel like it soaked up enough flavor.

I highly anticipate future steak experiments with this cut; it has a great deal of potential, just maybe not on our current grill.

Rochter Scale Rating: 5.5
This was better than you can get at most sit-down places, in my opinion, but probably not up to "Steak Night" standards.


Bonus Review: Applebee's Steak
Like the Cannibal mentioned, over the weekend we had a chance at some Applebee's steak. Despite the fact that he posted his review far in advance of mine, I placed my order first... which is important, because he had the audacity to order the same steak as I did.

Over all, I find myself sharing C-Dawg's thoughts on this steak. The steak itself was about what you'd expect, but the true gem was the parmesan and garlic shrimp. This particular addition to the steak must be reverse engineered and assimilated.

Rochter Scale: 5.0

No comments: