Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Something New: BBQ Steak

Greetings Steaketeers!

Ok, things are a little more complicated this week. We're still fitting in to the theme of the Mesquite battles (A1 Mesquite is still on top BTW) but we're also branching out and trying the concept of BBQ steak. Now years ago, Ruby Tuesdays used to have a menu item called BBQ Steak on a Stick. I thought this was one of the greatest ideas ever. Mostly this is due to the fact that i believe that anything can be made better by barbecuing it, but puttting it on a stick as well? That's so genius that I don't even have a word for the multiple levels of awesome it contains. So I've personally had a small obsession with the concept of BBQ steak over the years, this has been compunded by the fact that Ruby Tuesday has long since removed this menu item cutting off my easy access to the delicacy. I've never managed to recreate this at home quite yet. I've not had the greatest amount of luck, but I have come up with some tasty alternatives. My favorite has been preparing strips of steak in a rotisserere basted in BBQ sauce. It came out like a very tender and moist jerky, it was pretty awesome I gotta say, but still different from what I intended.

However I digress, this weeks journey into the war torn, post apocalyptic steak wasteland (sorry I've been playing massive amounts of Fallout 3) is another new attempt for this quest. We've recently become kinda obsessed with Stubbs brand of BBQ sauce, though we've been using it on pork. This has been so good that we figure, why not apply it to the superior meat? So we have a 2 part preparation for the week. We're starting with Stubbs Beef Marinade (the ribeyes are soaking in it as I type), which will be grilled tonight and basted with Stubbs Smoky Mesquite BBQ sauce while on the grill. The Mesquite BBQ was chosen specifically so that the attempt could officially be entered into the battle of the Mesquites contest. I'm thinking just regular salt and pepper for seasoning, garlic salt might be a little too much.

Here's hoping for awesomeness.

No comments: