Friday, November 28, 2008

The Review

First of all, my apologies. Turkey day got in the way of the update to the Steak Blog for this week. It did not alter the actual consumption of steak, I'd like to be quick to point out, so never fear.

This week we had the KC Masterpiece Steakhouse marinade, with our accustomed boneless ribeye cuts.

In general, I think we may have spoiled ourselves by going for the A1 Marinades from the first. In our (limited) experience, we've noticed that the A1 marinades tend to really insinuate themselves into the steak. We've taken that property for granted, as it seems so far only select marinades from the Paul Newman collection have been able to do the same. The KC Masterpiece marinade did have a nice, smoky flavor to it... but it didn't seem to be a very "deep" flavor. I definitely got the impression I could have had the same taste payoff by brushing the marinade onto the steak before eating instead of letting it soak for 24 hours. I do not intend this to be a major point of criticism, the steak DID taste good, after all. Just a shortcoming in what could otherwise be a star player in our lineup.

Rochter Scale Rating: 6.3

Additional Note:
I'd also like to point out that I sampled a different variety of A1 this week with the steak... A1 Supreme Garlic. It is definitely a thicker steak sauce, and perhaps a little strong. It really gives an impression of A1 mixed with Italian dressing, with a heavy touch of garlic.

No comments: